Order the book, The United States Football League, 1982–1986.
Collector: Paul Reeths
- Location: Marshfield, WI
- Occupation: Web Site Designer
- Collecting Since: 1986
- Favorite USFL Team(s): Panthers, Renegades
- Other Sports Collecting Interests: Arena, WLAF, WFL, CFLUSA
Paul Reeths's Collection Highlights
- Complete set of full size USFL helmets, including Federals white and silver and a league helmet; four game used (see picture at right)
- Autographed Reggie White Showboats helmet
- 8 USFL game jerseys, including the only known sample of the 1984 Wranglers home jersey and a league promotional jersey
- 2 USFL footballs, 1 Arena football
- Complete set of USFL minis, 1 Arena mini (Milwaukee Mustangs)
- Complete set of USFL media guides
- Many USFL game programs, postseason media guides, patches, hats, steins, etc.
1. What interests you in the USFL?
I've always been a big football fan, and I loved the fact that the USFL allowed us to watch the game all year round. The team names and logos also captured my imagination. Plus, they were always the underdogs with fans and the media.
2. How did you get started collecting USFL memorabilia?
I started collecting whatever I could find shortly after the 1985 season concluded. I guess I realized that they would probably not play another game. I remember calling the league office and asking for information, and they sent me some game programs which were the first ones I had seen.
3. What item began your collection?
Those programs were probably the first items in my collection. At the time, I didn't have much more than those and several newspaper and magazine articles about the league. About 2-3 years later I decided to try to get all the helmets. It took about 5 years, but I finally completed that collection. I just began buying whatever I could find, especially the media guides, and it took me about five years to complete my set of them. From there, I've added to my collection little by little.
4. Tell us about yourself and your other hobbies.
I'm a web site designer who created this site as well as one on the American CFL teams. I graduated from the University of South Carolina a couple of years ago with a business degree and quite a bit more computer knowledge than I had before. Besides the USFL and other defunct leagues and teams, I'm a big X-Files fan who's trying to get a book about the USFL published.
5. Are there any particular items you're looking to add to your
I'm always looking for photos of the USFL, WFL, WLAF, American CFL teams and the Arena League. I enjoy the different helmets and uniforms, and photos from these teams are fairly scarce. I'd also like to finish up my collection of USFL steins and mini helmets.
6. What do you enjoy most about collecting?
I've really enjoyed creating this website and talking with other collectors. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who still remembers this great league.
7. Which item or part of your collection is your favorite?
I'd say my helmets, particularly my Reggie White autographed helmet, is the favorite part of my collection. I'm also fond of my 1984 Wranglers home jersey because it's the only one I've ever seen. I wasn't convinced of its authenticity until talking with the team's assistant equipment manager.
8. What advice would you give to new collectors?
Be patient! This stuff can be hard to find. There isn't a central depository or even a price guide. These items are out there, but can be difficult to find. If you see something you want and haven't seen it in awhile, it's usually a good idea to pick it up. You never know when or if you'll have another chance.